Nutraceutical word with “nutra” derived from nutrition and “ceutical” from pharmaceutical. A nutraceutical is any substance that is a food or a part of a food and provides medical or health benefits, including the prevention and treatment of disease. Such products may range from isolated nutrients, dietary supplements and specific diets to genetically engineered designer foods, herbal products, and processed foods such as cereals, soups and beverages.
Nutraceuticals & HealthCare
Nutraceuticals help in curing following diseases
- Life Style Related Diseases
- Diet-related chronic diseases and disorders: Cardiovascular Diseases, Type 2 Diabetes,
- Many Kinds of Cancers
- Disturbances in Routines
Marine based nutraceuticals
A major source of omega-3 fatty acids, fish helps to protect against a range of diseases
- Cancer Risk- reduce the risk of several types of cancer by up to 50%
- Cardiovascular Disease- reduces risk of stroke, heart disease and blood clots
- Dementia Risk- lowers risk of developing both dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Manage Diabetes- helps to manage blood sugar levels
- Improves Brain and Eye Health
- Depression Rates- produces lower incidences of depression
- Decreases Asthma Risk
Dairy based nutraceuticals
Probiotics are live microorganisms that Improve intestinal microbial balance present in curd.
- Stimulates the immune system and reduces symptoms of lactose intolerance
- Prevents bacterial overgrowth in the intestine and provides relief for antibiotic-induced diarrhea
- Regulates bowel movements
- Increases satiety (feelings of fullness)and metabolizes body fat
- Lowers blood pressure, Improves mineral absorption and helps prevent colon cancer.
Plant based nutraceuticals
They are phytochemicals — biologically active natural products such as limonoids in citrus fruits, lignans in flaxseed, lycopene in tomatoes, and catechins in tea.
- Limonoids- Effective in weight, cancer and cholesterol control
- Flaxseed Lignans- antioxidant qualities, 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods
- Lycopene- heart diseases, diabetes, antioxidant prevents sun burns and osteoporosis
- Catechins- help in metabolism processes and control cholesterol levels and cancer.
What Caused the Rapid Emergence of Nutraceuticals?
Consumers dissatisfied with drug costs and conventional healthcare are turning to unproven untested natural products for treatment and prevention. Pharmaceuticals work only after the onset of diseases. Nutraceuticals plays important roles in retarding and progression of diseases. Prevention is always better than Cure.
Nutraceuticals help in Prevention
- Nutraceuticals (chanpreetvirk.wordpress.com)
- Latest Report – Indian Nutraceuticals Market Forecast to 2017 – Aarkstore Market Research (aarkresearchreport.wordpress.com)
- Lycopene lowers toxicity of fluoride (foodconsumer.org)
- So-Called Healthy Oils You Should Avoid (sorendreier.com)
- Dr. Fuhrman: 6 Worst Foods for Diabetes (youthandeldersja.wordpress.com)
- Focus on food not just vitamins (mcphsnaturalproducts.wordpress.com)
- Prepare Custom Nutraceutical Labels to Be Resolution-Ready for New Year’s Sales (prweb.com)
- Cardiovascular Risk Awareness and Management (gethealthandbeautytips.wordpress.com)
- So-Called Healthy Oils You Should Avoid (elenaselivan.com)