Helps reduce anxiety
Rich in niacin, an essential vitamin, and sesame seeds are known to reduce anxiety. With almost 28% of the total necessary daily intake of niacin present in 100 grams of the seeds, it helps in improving the GABA (gamma-Aminobutyric acid) activity inside the brain, thereby reducing anxiety and neurosis.
Keeps your heart muscles healthy
Sesame seeds are extremely rich in essential minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc and selenium.
Helps keep pregnant mothers and growing foetuses healthy
Packed with folic acid, sesame seeds are great for pregnant mothers. Since folic acid is essential in the proper DNA synthesis in growing foetuses and improves the all round health of a pregnant mother, sesame seeds and their derivatives like sesame oil lends greatly to the health of an expectant mother.
Due to the zinc and calcium present in sesame seeds, they are great in preventing osteoporosis. The combination of essential minerals and vitamins help in the proper assimilation of calcium by the body, and zinc helps in preventing excessive leeching of calcium into the body.
Helps recovery after a stroke
Sesame seeds are great in restoring the blood flow to parts of the brain that have lost circulation due to a stroke. This study is based on the fact that the high amounts of magnesium and zinc present in the seed help in strengthening one’s blood circulation and neural impulses.
Protects you from cancer
Effective against a number of cancers like lung cancer, colon cancer, leukaemia, prostate cancer, breast cancer and pancreatic cancer. Sesamin stops and slows down the regeneration of cancer cells and stops the production of chemicals that are linked to their survival.
Lowers bad cholesterol
Sesame seeds are rich in oleic acid, a potent mono-unsaturated fatty acid which lowers the ‘bad cholesterol’ or LDL cholesterol in the blood and increases the level of ‘good cholesterol’ or HDL in the body.
- Why Eating Sesame Seed Paste (Tahini) Could Save Your Life (naturalblaze.com)
- Feel Fabulous Fridays – Endurance Crackers (from Oh She Glows) (thevitalvegannutrition.wordpress.com)
- Sesame seed plantings take root in Leflore (kansascity.com)
- Top 10 Under-Appreciated (But Super-Healthy) Plant Foods (onegreenplanet.org)
- Why Eating Sesame Seed Paste (Tahini) Could Save Your Life (healthimpactnews.com)
- Til oil (Sesame oil) and its benefits (ashtangayurveda.wordpress.com)
- Eating Sesame Seeds Superior To Tylenol for Knee Arthritis (wakeup-world.com)