Why they help:
- Fish is known as “brain food.”
- Contain the omega-3 fatty acid DHA-increase the membrane quality and nerve function of brain’s gray matter .
- Twenty percent of the gray matter in the brain is composed of DHA.
- DHA consumption especially increases gray matter in three areas viz.the amygdala, the hippocampus, and the cingulate associated with mood.
- People with severe depression have less gray matter in these areas.
Tip: Fish is also a great source of lean protein, which stabilizes blood sugar. Eating small amounts of protein with meals help to keep mood on a more even keel.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids (medindia.net)
- Omega 3′s – The Facts on This Fat (prettylittlegrub.com)
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: What You Need To Know (1bestofwayss.wordpress.com)
- Omega 3 (oriandm3.wordpress.com)
- Omega-3 intake linked to higher cognition in infants, toddlers and young children (thealmagest.com)