Organic food differs from conventionally produced food simply in the way it is grown, handled and processed. Organic food is produced naturally, without using synthetic pesticides; fertilizers or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are naturally fed and given no antibiotics or growth hormones.
Organic Food Facts
- Examples include organic milk from cows, eggs from hen that are fed naturally by grazing or consume feed that is grown organically.
- Check for the food labels and Indian certifications like INDOCERT, ISO behind the packets to make sure whether you purchase organic foods.
- Organic cereals & pulses can be chosen for better health benefits like organic green gram, red rice, groundnuts, ragi, rice & wheat flour which are commonly used.
- Thus incorporation of organic products in one’s diet may decrease the risk of consuming additional pesticide residues present in conventional foods.
- Organically raised animals are not given antibiotics, growth hormones nor fed animal by -products. Therefore organically raised animals have been shown to be significantly healthier than their factory-raised counterparts.