Fiber is an important component of a healthy balanced diet. Fiber is also known as roughage. It is the indigestible part of plant foods that pushes through our digestive system, absorbing water along the way and easing bowel movements. Fiber is not a nutrient and contains no calories or vitamins but necessary for a healthy and efficient digestive system.
Role of Fibre!!!
- Helps your digestive system. to process food and absorb nutrients.
- Helps to lower blood cholestrol
- Fibre makes you feel fuller and so helps to control your appetite.
- It combines with water, swells up and provides bulk to the digestive system
- Fibre has the effect of lubricating the contents of the intestines and, therefore, makes the food pass through easily and in a timely manner
- Friendly bacteria in the colon feed on fibre and they are therefore nourished by it i.e. they act as prebiotics
Stock your kitchen with wholegrain food such as oats, brown rice and whole-wheat, bajra, jowar, ragi and make dosa and roti using it.