Vegetarian Diet- Long Term Effects on Health
A vegetarian diet is derived from plants, with or without eggs or dairy. Vegetarianism is the practice of abstaining from the consumption of meat – red meat, poultry, seafood and the flesh of any other animal. It may also include abstention from by-products of animal slaughter, such as animal-derived rennet and gelatin.
Reasons for choosing the vegetarian lifestyle
- Against animal cruelty in the food industry
Four main groups of vegetarians
- Lacto vegetarians
- Lacto-ovo vegetarians
Long-Term Health Benefits
- Well planned, nutritious, can be very beneficial in long-term, and short-term, health.
- Vegetarian diets can prevent some negative health risks.
- Lower body weight level as vegetarians are not consuming animal fats
- Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and lower total mortality.
- Risks for hypertension, coronary artery disease, type 2 diabetes, and gallstones are lower.
- Risk of coronary artery disease reduced.
- Certain cancers are less likely to develop.
- Risk of hypertension is reduced.
Long-Term Health Risks
- Insufficient amounts of nutrients being consumed
- Low protein consumption
- Loss of hair and muscle mass
- Low levels of vitamins and minerals
- Risks of nerve deterioration and osteoporosis
- The high dietary fiber content of foods such as soy protein, bran, and fiber that vegetarians are consuming.
- Increases the risk of iron-deficiency anemia
Nutritional Shortfalls and Recommendations
Vitamin B12 Nutritional Shortfalls and Recommendations
Nutritional Shortfalls and Recommendations
It is important for metabolism, maintenance of the central nervous system and the formation of red blood cells.
Symptoms -anaemia, weakness, poor balance and tingling in the arms and legs.
Tip- Vegetarian sources of B12 include fortified grains and nutritional yeast
The readily absorbed iron is available in red meats, poultry and fish. Deficiency causes anaemia.
Symptoms- exhaustion, slow cognitive development, chills increased susceptibility to infection.
Tip- Type of iron found in beans, lentils, enriched grains, spinach, raisins and tofu is adequate for normal nutritional needs. The type of iron vegetarians consume is more difficult to absorb. Iron absorption is increased by taking vitamin C or consuming citrus with plant-based iron sources.
It helps to smell and taste, increase the immune system, wound healing and metabolism of carbohydrates.
Symptoms- deficiency result in poor appetite, frequent infections, hair loss
Tip- Consuming legumes, peanuts and peanut butter
A vegetarian diet might increase your risk for osteoporosis or low bone density and bone fractures due to lower levels of calcium and vitamin D.
Symptoms: Low calcium and vitamin D levels in vegan diets may lead to rickets in children, a condition characterized by soft and deformed bones and dental problems.
Tip- Intake of high-calcium foods, such as for cereals, breads and juices that have added calcium, fortified tofu, broccoli. Oranges are also a good source of calcium, and many commercial soy milks, cereals and pasta are fortified with calcium.
- Ever Consider Becoming a Vegetarian? (completeherbalguide.com)
- Feeding a vegetarian/vegan toddler (childrensdietitian.net)
- Annotated Bibliography 1 (lambrm.wordpress.com)
- The Positive Impact that a Vegetarian Diet has on the Quality of Life with Aging (stupakyulia.wordpress.com)
- Vegetarianism (whenyoujustknow.wordpress.com)
- Protein Diet Foods For Vegetarian (healthylifestylesliving.wordpress.com)
- How To Be A Healthy Vegetarian Diet? (simohamed5585.wordpress.com)
Nutraceutical word with “nutra” derived from nutrition and “ceutical” from pharmaceutical. A nutraceutical is any substance that is a food or a part of a food and provides medical or health benefits, including the prevention and treatment of disease. Such products may range from isolated nutrients, dietary supplements and specific diets to genetically engineered designer foods, herbal products, and processed foods such as cereals, soups and beverages.
Nutraceuticals & HealthCare
Nutraceuticals help in curing following diseases
- Life Style Related Diseases
- Diet-related chronic diseases and disorders: Cardiovascular Diseases, Type 2 Diabetes,
- Many Kinds of Cancers
- Disturbances in Routines
Marine based nutraceuticals
A major source of omega-3 fatty acids, fish helps to protect against a range of diseases
- Cancer Risk- reduce the risk of several types of cancer by up to 50%
- Cardiovascular Disease- reduces risk of stroke, heart disease and blood clots
- Dementia Risk- lowers risk of developing both dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Manage Diabetes- helps to manage blood sugar levels
- Improves Brain and Eye Health
- Depression Rates- produces lower incidences of depression
- Decreases Asthma Risk
Dairy based nutraceuticals
Probiotics are live microorganisms that Improve intestinal microbial balance present in curd.
- Stimulates the immune system and reduces symptoms of lactose intolerance
- Prevents bacterial overgrowth in the intestine and provides relief for antibiotic-induced diarrhea
- Regulates bowel movements
- Increases satiety (feelings of fullness)and metabolizes body fat
- Lowers blood pressure, Improves mineral absorption and helps prevent colon cancer.
Plant based nutraceuticals
They are phytochemicals — biologically active natural products such as limonoids in citrus fruits, lignans in flaxseed, lycopene in tomatoes, and catechins in tea.
- Limonoids- Effective in weight, cancer and cholesterol control
- Flaxseed Lignans- antioxidant qualities, 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods
- Lycopene- heart diseases, diabetes, antioxidant prevents sun burns and osteoporosis
- Catechins- help in metabolism processes and control cholesterol levels and cancer.
What Caused the Rapid Emergence of Nutraceuticals?
Consumers dissatisfied with drug costs and conventional healthcare are turning to unproven untested natural products for treatment and prevention. Pharmaceuticals work only after the onset of diseases. Nutraceuticals plays important roles in retarding and progression of diseases. Prevention is always better than Cure.
Nutraceuticals help in Prevention