Consumption of Whole grains instead of refined grains lowers the risk of many chronic diseases. Whole grains:
Provide bulk in the stomach and helps prevent overeating.
Slows the digestive system for blood sugar control.
Cleanses the digestive system to keep the intestines disease free.
Reduces the risk of heart disease, colon cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
Oats– Health benefits: oats contain soluble fibre that help reduce cholesterol absorption and contain antioxidants that protect from free radicals.
Tips: Can be taken as porridge with fruits, or added to batters or flours to make it healthier.
Wheat– Health benefits: a good source of fibre, vitamins, minerals, and essential oils (wheat germ oil)
Tips: Retain bran in the wheat flour to give you high nutrient content
- Maida flour has become a part and parcel of bakery industry. Maida flour is basically used in the preparation of paratha’ s, white breads, cake, biscuits, rumali roti etc.,
- Maida can destroy the beta cells of pancreas which produce insulin to lower sugar levels and increase the chances of diabetes in human beings.
- Using Maida based products also results in constipation and indigestion problem. Maida would also result in increase of weight.
- Wheat is probably the most common cereal available all around the world and is in even high demand in recent years due to its abundant health benefits.
- Wheat considerably lowers the hazards of heart diseases. Owing to its comparatively low fat content. It also regulates blood glucose levels in diabetic patients.
- The nutrient value of wheat is retained even after processing into the flour.
Food Processing, Food and health, Food Engineering, Food Chemistry, Food Facts