Ways to Avoid Night Time Food Cravings!
Night time food binges are something many people can’t resist. Even if one has managed the whole day sticking to diet and getting an adequate amount of exercise, sometimes the urge to binge late in the evening wins over the will power.
Eat more healthy fats, fibre, and protein
- These nutrients help the body feel more full and satisfied without a lot of calories required.
- Good sources of healthy fats include nuts eggs, butter, olive oil, avocado, and fish.
- Soluble fiber stabilizes blood sugar levels- controls sugar craving at night. Eg. Citrus Fruits, Oats
- Insoluble fiber fills stomach to reduce hunger pains. Eg. Cucumber, apple, banana etc.
- High protein foods include lean meats, yogurt, daals &legumes, and milk.
Food craving is an intense desire to consume a specific food, stronger than simply normal hunger. Usually food cravings arise to satisfy emotional needs, such as anxiety, stress, boredom and mood swings which lead to low serotonin levels. This low serotonin levels (neuro transmitter) sends a signal to the brain to have a positive impact on food. While cravings can mean a number of things including psychological reasons, a strong craving usually indicates your body is low in a specific nutrient, vitamin or mineral.
When you crave salty food???
Salt cravings usually occur due to dehydration, mineral deficiency, electrolyte imbalance and adrenal exhaustion (caused by stress & emotions). People who eat low calcium diet crave for more salty foods because sodium in salt temporarily increases calcium levels in the blood, which tricks the body. Even lack of potassium and iron causes craving for salty snacks.
How to curb it: Include coconut water, soups or vegetable broths to reboot your electrolytes. Carrots, banana, radish, tomato, spinach & almonds can be consumed with your salads for potassium, sodium & calcium during cravings.
- 6 Ways to Reduce Food Cravings (thejennyevolution.com)
- Food Cravings? What To Do? (wellnessessentials4life.com)
- EFT and food cravings (bewillingtoshine.wordpress.com)
- 2. Luscious Food Cravings (merelbrandts.wordpress.com)
- Why do we have food cravings? (veronikagoncalves.wordpress.com)
- That Time of the Year (adriadc.wordpress.com)
- Crowd out your Cravings (meganbullen.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Crave Food… Crave Endorphins! (thenaturalhigh1.wordpress.com)