Consumption of fruits and vegetables makes your diet healthier. Add one green leafy vegetable and fruit into your day. But how do you pick the best of them? Here are a few tips when you pick your fruits and veggies
Greens -Amaranth, coriander, curry leaves, methi, spinach.
Should always be green and crisp
Root vegetable- Onions, carrots, beets, potatoes, sweet potatoes.
It must have smooth skin, smell fresh.
Avoid choosing green potatoes & the ones with buds (sprouted).
- Potatoes are rich sources of carbohydrates and also contains high amount of starch which would result in increasing of weight.
- Potatoes also have a high glycemic index which has an impact on blood sugar resulting in type 2 diabetes and its complications.
- Potatoes might trigger gas, gas pain and bloating, particularly if you are prone to gas and sensitive to the sugars that occur naturally in starch. Also might trigger inflammation and joint pains.
- Sweet potato is high in Vitamin B6 which helps in reducing homocysteine in our bodies and also helps in prevention of heart attacks.
- They are good sources of Vitamin C & D plays an important role in our energy levels, moods, and helps to build healthy bones, heart, nerves, skin, and teeth and it supports the thyroid gland.
- Sweet potatoes contain iron which plays an important role in increasing red &white blood cell production, resistance to stress, proper immune functioning and magnesium in sweet potato acts as a relaxation and anti-stress mineral.
Food Processing, Food and health, Food Engineering, Food Chemistry, Food Facts