Tag Archives: vitamin B

Foods To Enhance Your Metabolism-2

VITAMIN B ADDITION

Image result for vitamin b food

  • By incorporating small amounts of nuts, seeds, lean chicken and fish into your diet, helps maintain a healthy metabolism.

  • Legumes are also a great source of B vitamins; plus they’re chock-full of fiber.

Advertisements

Myth: Egg yolk contain cholestrol that are bad for heart

Eggs do contain a substantial amount of cholesterol in their yolks—about 211 milligrams (mg) per large egg. But labeling eggs as “bad for your heart” is wrong.

How?

For most of us the cholesterol we eat—in eggs or any other food—doesn’t have a huge impact on raising our blood cholesterol; the body simply compensates by manufacturing less cholesterol itself. The chief heart-disease culprits are “saturated and trans fats, which have much greater impact on raising blood cholesterol,”

A large egg contains 2 grams of saturated fat (10 percent of the Daily Value) and no trans fats.

Only about 25 percent of the cholesterol in your blood comes from food. The other 75 percent is manufactured by the liver, which produces lots of cholesterol when you eat cheeseburgers and other sources of saturated fat—something eggs are low in.

Eggs are also filled with useful nutrients that may offset any damage done by their cholesterol content, including unsaturated fat, folate and other B vitamins, and minerals.

Regional dishes and their importance – South Indian Idli

Indian food is different from rest of the world not only in taste but also in cooking methods. It reflects a perfect blend of various cultures and ages. Given the range of diversity in soil type, climate and occupations these cuisines vary significantly from each other and have different nutritional significance.

South Indian Food“Idli”                           

                                                                                  

Fermentation process breaks down the starches – more readily metabolized by the body. The main ingredients rice provides energy, black gram provides protein and fenugreek contains vitamins and minerals along with fibre. Low in fat and is easily digestible. Gluten-free so it can be replaced by paratas for breakfast. The fermentation process increases the bioavailability of proteins and enhances the vitamin B content of the food. Helps in weight loss as they are steamed.

Significance: Use of dal and rice in idly is a good combination as the amino acids in them complement each other. Fermentation also destroys certain anti-nutrients like phytates and oxalates that interfere with the absorption of minerals like iron and calcium.

Surge your brain power-Spinach

Brain boosting foods

Feeding the mind with the correct food can improve brain performance, as the brain uses carbohydrates for energy; omega-3 fatty acids for forming its cell structure and B vitamins play an essential role in brain function. Therefore foods rich in these nutrients must be incorporated in your diet to boost your memory and brain power.

Spinach

This leafy green is packed with nutrients like folate, vitamin E, and vitamin K which prevent dementia. Just 11/2 cup of cooked spinach packs a third of the folate and five times the amount of vitamin K you need in a day. Spinach is also high in potassium, which helps to maintain the electrical conductivity of the brain. This conductivity helps produce fast signals between neurons that make us think more clearly and respond more quickly.

Include: Take at least 1 cup of spinach in a day, in the form of porial, gravies, sambar in your meal.

Nutrient Combination-Niacin and Tryptophan

Food contains a mixture of nutrients that interact with one another sometimes they join forces, other times they cancel each other out. Many foods work well when eaten together because of the complementary nutrients each contains. When you consume food, certain dishes must be taken in combination with another to obtain better absorption and utilization of nutrients present in the foods. Therefore following are the list of nutrients that work in pairs which helps you in choosing foods.

Niacin and Tryptophan

Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that your body cannot produce it, and it must be obtained from food sources. Our body uses tryptophan to manufacture niacin, a B vitamin, and serotonin, a neurotransmitter. Serotonin plays a role in regulating sleep and moods, and in controlling impulses in the brain. A severe deficiency in tryptophan can lead to insomnia, depression, anxiety, irritability and unexpected weight loss or gain.

Thrive on: Tryptophan is found in cheese, chicken, eggs, fish, milk, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, soy products. Meanwhile, niacin is found in poultry, fish, lean meats, nuts, eggs and dairy products.